Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lean Not

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

I've heard these verses so many times. I always focus on trusting in Him, acknowledging Him, and Him making my paths straight, all good things. Recently the lean not really hit me. Not that I shouldn't have my own understanding, but what am I leaning on? I see that when I am faced with something I tend to lean on my own understanding. If I can just understand why they did it, then it will be ok. If I can just understand exactly what happened, then it will be ok. If I can just understand ... then I will be ok. Understanding is a good thing, but if I need to understand something to be ok, then there's something wrong. I'm leaning on my own understanding. So instead I've been trying to trust God, acknowledge Him, let Him direct my paths, and not worry so much about my own understanding.

1 comment: