Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Anger

A jealous and avenging God is the LORD;
The LORD is avenging and wrathful
The LORD takes vengeance on His adversaries,
And He reserves wrath for His enemies.
The LORD is slow to anger and great in power,
And the LORD will by no means leave the guilty unpunished
In whirlwind and storm is His way,
And clouds are the dust beneath His feet.
Nahum 1:2-3

This you know, my beloved brethren But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.
James 1:19-20

If only my anger could be as God's is. It strikes me that God's anger is directed at his enemies. It seems so obvious, yet how often is my anger misdirected. I'm angry over my own sin so I yell at my children. I'm angry about my circumstances and I take it out on Aaron.

It's not like God is some wimp that is getting pushed around. He is "great in power" and "will by no means leave the guilty unpunished".

1 comment: